Tuesday, October 28, 2008

good morning - or not

I'm not sure about 'good mornings'.

I don't like the pressure that each morning, when you get to work, you have to say good morning.

And not to one person. You need to say it to each person's desk that you walk past.

Even if you don't speak to this person for the rest of the day, or ever speak to them as a general rule, it is expected that when entering the office for the first time that day, a 'good morning' will be released from your lips.

Firstly, the greeting does not convey necessarily convey reality. It may be a bad morning. It may be a glorious meeting. It is most likely not a good morning.

Secondly, are we acknowledging it is morning? If so, why not say "It is morning. "

Thirdly, would hello suffice? Is good morning a greeting or an acknowledgement? Assuming it is a greeting, I'm good with just a quick 'hi' and let's move along. No need to discuss what we ate for dinner last night.

However, point three is not relevant to a similar issue that hinders me when out and about in walking land. It is expected that when passing people along the way, who are also walking, a 'good morning' or a 'hello' will again be required. This is crazy.

These people are strangers. In some version of 'fate' (not the hippy version) two people have decided to go for a walk and have chosen the same road at the same time to be walking along.

This does not require any sort of acknowledgement, unless you're about to stand there and discuss the level of coincidence that this concrete sharing may hold in various other areas of your life ie. do you brush your teeth too? do you breathe also? are you a human as well?

And refer to points 1 to 2 above for more reasons why this good morning/hello business while taking a morning stroll is ludicrous.

I have taken to the theory that I am an introverted extrovert, and, my mum taught me never to speak to strangers.

Sam says I'm just rude.

No comments: