Today it feels like I'm just writing for the sake of writing, but hey, I wouldn't want to disappoint the cast of thousands that hold their breath until each time I post!
A strange weekend, that started with rain, included the purchase of some rather unfashionable looking hiking boots (for hiking 32 kms up and down Mt Kosciusko in November) and thermals, and ended with the most fantastic Indian I have ever eaten.
Yes, Saturday became another expensive day of shopping so that I can fall more seriously into the role of 'Adventure Girl'.
Since meeting Sam, I have spent some time reconnecting with my sporting/adventure self (left behind in my mid high school years). I am now known as 'Adventure Girl', and I try to keep up with Sam's stamina and endurance as we run together, gym together, hike together, kayak together and do all sorts of adventure-type things together.
NB There is a touch of sarcasm and cartoon-like intimation that should occur when pronouncing the title 'Adventure Girl'.
I need to point out that being 'Adventure Girl' is expensive. When 'adventuring', one needs equipment.
We're talking water resistant shoes, hiking shoes, hiking boots (different from shoes, they support your ankle). We're talking clothing - 3 pairs of thermals, 3 pairs of hiking socks (different from normal socks, they 'wick' the moisture away), non-cotton pants and shirts, gloves, backpacks, head torches, wet weather gear, things made of gortex, and if you're Sam (I'm about to have a go here darling) - a heart rate monitor (because it's important to know your pulse when you're climbing up a big hill, just in case you're not sure HOW HARD IT IS TO CLIMB UP A BIG HILL!).
What annoys me about this, is that what seems a simple enough recreational activity seems to be a huge money-making opportunity for those in the know (the money makers) .
You want to hike, go for a long walk, do a little overnight camp (or in my situation, glamp = glamour camping) and there is list as long as my walking pole, of things you have to have.
And there are shops for this. Kent St, Sydney, is outdoor adventure heaven - there are at least ten stores within 100 metres, all making a lot of money from what appears to be overpriced adventure, perhaps?
And I'm beginning to ask myself - the risk involved in being 'Adventure Girl' (being eaten by a bear, falling off a cliff, getting frost bite, or a tick) - and now they want you to pay a motza for the privilege?
Yes, I've made a choice to be 'Adventure Girl', but all I'm saying is that it seems that spending time in the great outdoors and checking out the wonder that is God's creation, while wearing $800 worth of layered clothing (excluding boots), seems a little bit like a opportunistic marketing on Mr and Mrs Adventure's behalf.
That's my concern of the day. Look out for my upcoming 'Why does every visit to Medicare / the RTA involve wasting 60 minutes of my life' - which also happened this weekend!
This is 'Adventure Girl', signing off.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hahahahahahahahaha
that's all I have to say
Post a Comment