Monday, February 2, 2009

best friend gone

My best friend in the whole world, Tubby cat, died last Friday. It was very very sad. She came to Australia from NZ with our family, and was 14 years old.

Dad had to be with her at the vet when they put her to sleep, as Mum and I couldn't do it, and I would have been a mess. Someone had to be with her though - how terrible going to sleep forever and not seeing someone you love when you close your eyes.

Dad wasn't especially good at doing this either, and was still very very upset later that evening. It was a hard but easy decision to make. Tubby had kidney failure and diabetes, and would never have gotten better, and instead spent a very warm summer trying to keep drinking water, when it wouldn't have made any difference.

Tubby always knew when I was upset. I remember in my late teenage years, lying on my bed crying about some such injustice (breaking up with a boyfriend, or parents being parents) and Tubby would saunter (in a tubby/fat way, not a sexy way) into my bedroom, up onto the bed, and snuggle up with me.

I will miss her very much. She loved me and I loved her, and I was her favourite.

I have put a photo album on facebook in honour of Tubby.

No comments: